FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Reptiles: Appropriate for schools?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
collisonzoo
I am a teacher, and this past year I brought in some cornsnakes to keep as class pets. I had an adult corn, which the kids enjoyed handling and watching eat. I also brought in a hatchling corn so that the kids could watch it grow up. My husband and I breed snakes, and I was able to make sure that they were very well cared for, and they are home with me for the summer.

I think that having reptiles in the school is a wonderful experience for the students. (Not to mention, a great incentive for making them get their work done!) I had several students who were afraid of snakes that were handling them by the end of the year. I was surprised at the interest of even the parents and other teachers who knew very little about reptiles. The snakes were such a hit that the school has decided to try hosting a reptile show as a school fundraiser! However, you need to be sure that there is someone in the school who is responsible and knowledgeable enough to care for the animal(s). I hate to see animals suffer because nobody has time to care for them. I guess it really depends on the school and who would be taking care of the animal. It is a great experience for the students, but the health and well-being of the animals should always be the primary concern.

Just my opinion...