FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane Katrina
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #55
listenn
Exclamation Perspecitve please . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart
One of the biggest reasons for sticking it out is to deter/prevent looting. One of the constants in life is that there are those who prey on the misfortune of others. The pictures of folks sitting on their porch, gun in lap, and a sign saying looters will be shot is no joke. After Andrew, looting and crime became so rampant that OPM released a memo officially stating that anyone considering a job at Homestead AFB requuired special counseling.

Additionally, the uncertainty of not knowing what happened to your home and personal possessions wreaks havoc on your mind while you sit and wait for the all clear.

Another is the sheer logistics of bugging out. When I left town during Hurricane Frances, the few gas stations that had gas were rationing it out to 2 gallons per customer... just enough to get you to the next station that was open for business. The bright side is that driving 5mph on the interstate somewhat improves mileage. The downside is that what should have been a five hour drive lasted well over eleven hours.

Finding lodging is another sticking point. I had planned on only going as far north as Jacksonville, but ended up in Hinesville, GA due to nothing being available between here and there. The cheapest available room, even at my discounted rate, cost $110 per night. This was booked "just in case" days before I knew for sure I'd be evacuating.

Including car repairs necessitated by a frozen brake caliper that I had to drive several hours on, my evac related expenses, which were unforeseen and unbudgeted, were over $1K. Not everyone has the spare cash for an evac. In my case, Uncle Sam paid me back for a portion of it.

In the case of New Orleans, I can see why there was not more of an evacuation. Many of the folks there are too poor to own a car. As such, they've no choice but to stay.

Personally, I wouldn'tgive a second thought to sticking out a Cat 1 or 2. A Cat 3 would get me thinking about it. A Cat 4 or 5 would definitely give me the incentive to evac.

If I may continue along the lines of Ken's thoughts . . . Thank you Ken.

Jim, Sammy and Shelly . . .
As for sick comments contributed from Sammy "It is called thinning the heard", Jim's "survival of the fittest" and Shelly's "Where do you think I got the news article from? The internet." Let me first say Shelly, you are brilliant! Those people can't afford tv's, radio's and many other things like a place to stay and you think they have access to the internet?! BRILLIANT!

MOST of the people COULD NOT AFFORD to leave. Do you think everyone has the $ to just pick up residence and move? Gas was then $2.55 a gal., Now let's add infants and children to that equation, how about their family members, how about everyone that makes minimum wage or below poverty level, don't forget about the elderly cared for by Hospice . . . Do you really think that entire cities can just pick up and move?

You're talking about the ENTIRE Mississippi Delta genius. That ONLY receives more than half of the countries produce and supplies. Do you have a clue how important those ports are?

Katrina hit New Orleans as a Category 5. That's the equivalent of a F4 tornado, except hurricanes are much, much bigger and produce/ carry tornadoes within them. She was the 2nd worst hurricane the U.S. has had. The worst was the Sept. 8, 1900, "Galveston Hurricane", an estimated 6,000–8,000 died.

1/2 of my immediate family in New Orleans lived by the 17th Street Levey and lost EVERYTHING once that levee broke to add to the destruction. Their houses, jobs . . . EVERYTHING. ALL of my mom's family lives in N.O. My parents, my friends, their kids . . . are still there. LA and MS closed damn near all roads and those that are open, are STILL not allowing anyone, including immediate family members, in to even try to get them out!

I'm still struggling with taking this all in and really just trying to keep from falling apart. We were just down there July 16th - 23rd.

It physically makes me sick when I hear people just adding to the situation. I think the lot of them should enroll in some sort of Humanities class.

Are the conditions down there so different from when America was struggling to house the immigrants pouring in? I know it's not the exact same, but they're struggling with the exact same issues . . . shelter, food, water, toilets, bedding, clothing, transportation, space, etc. Cities have been completely destroyed, burned, vandalized and looted. We had to call the National Guard present to restore law, not only to help rebuild things, but to protect officers and citizens alike that were being shot by looters that stayed behind to trash what they could!!!

Your parents never tell you as bad as what it is to try and spare your feelings and stuff. So I'm going nuts and studying has about gone out the window, not completely, but all of my free time is spent scouring over Red Cross registries and whatnot. A friend's father called me yesterday . . . he's STILL not heard from his daughter . . . she lived in Waveland and could not leave.The storm surge there topped another friends 2nd story house and was over 40 feet.

My friend, Ruth Biehl, lived in apartments in Waveland rowed in a rubber raft from building to building during Katrina's eye and plucked CHILDREN out of the storm surge. Many did not have adults with them . . . for many it was too late, they had already died and their parent's did not want to leave. They had already lost everything . . . their children, their parents, their home . . . some could not find a reason to live any longer.

Another close friend, Melissa Bennett, had her power turned on last night and had opened her home to more then 15 survivors, giving such simple things as shelter, food, water, clothing . . . hope.

I do find some comfort speaking with those I can . . . and I have a very unselfish reason to study and go to class . . . I went to Dr. Karsen's Animal Biology class last night and he said he had a message for me. He told me Jeffery W. Floyd asked if I would send him my notes, we had traded before and even if we hadn't it was no big deal. Dr. Karsen just kind of stood there with a rather long face about him, then said . . . Jeff was called up for duty for the National Guard to help with disaster relief . . . that took my breath away.

This has really effect my studies and I honestly just want to go down there just to hug my mom, my dad, my sisters and my brothers . . . my family. To feel their warm skin, hear their breath and see their faces . . . you know?

It's amazing to see so many coming together to help people in need. I wish everyone would.

My apologies to all but I am STILL trying to locate my family in Gulfport and Kiln, MS and New Orleans, LA.

If you know the where abouts, or have heard from ANYONE in those areas PLEASE contact me. We have been desperately trying to get in touch with ANYONE from that area.

I'm searching for the familys of:

New Orleans, LA area:
George, Donnie, Barbara, Clay and Kathy Bohn
Faith and Joyce Champagne

Gulfport, MS area:
Judy Davis
Gene, Jan, and Charlie Swearengine (Charlie is a Life Flight paramedic)
Justin (Gerald) Richardson
Laurie, Cowles and Will Sims (Laurie taught @ Long Beach Jr High)
Lyisha Barkum
John Paul and Leslie Corassco
Tereasa Ungarro
Theresa Ouilette
Georgeanna Kinney
Vicky Lindsey (taught @ Bayou View Jr High)
Vickey Lindsey
Gerald Tate (mom taught @ Bayou View Jr High)

Kiln, MS area:
Janet Fayard

And others I'm still too shocked to think of.

*** IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE RELOCATING TO OKLAHOMA, OR IS STILL IN MISSISSIPPI NEEDING ASSISTANCE CONTACT ME. *** Some of my friends and I are setting up a network to help transport and care for those in need.

THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED UPDATE THIS LIST!
(9/12 11:37am CST)
Sincerely,
Julie K. Coultes (Favre)