FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Let students hurl canned food at intruders
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
As funny as it sounds I like the fact that schools have been teaching kids not to just be sitting ducks over the last couple of years.

Story from 2013.

LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) — A gunman is inside a school, stalking the hallways.

What do teachers and students do?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._strategy.html

Quote:
Traditionally, they have been trained to lock down: Get to a classroom, turn out the lights, lock the door, sit quietly and wait for help to arrive.

Now, in a dramatic shift in thinking, school districts here and across the country are training staff and even students to be more proactive and resistant to an armed intruder.

Run, hide and, as a last resort, fight, they are being told.

The principals are at the heart of a safety program called ALICE, an acronym for alert, lockdown, inform, counter and escape.

The program shows teachers, staff and, in some cases, students how to protect themselves from an armed intruder by doing everything from piling furniture in front of a classroom door to, as a last-ditch effort, throwing books, backpacks or staplers at a gunman's head to distract him and keep him from shooting them.
God forbid a shooter showed up at one of my children's schools. If that person made it into their classroom, attacking that shooter instead of waiting to be shoot, may just save lives. I say throw everything you have on hand.