FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Things I don't understand...
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #11
Socratic Monologue
"Finally solids are bound together in a crystalline structure which prevents the molecules from freely moving around (except for glass which is apparently a really slow moving liquid), as water freezes you actually can get the exclusion of other dissolved materials like salt ions via a process called fractional freezing. An old example of this was the concentration of alcohol in barrels of fermented ciders where the barrel(s) were allowed to freeze and once frozen a hole was melted into it allowing the alcohol to be decanted. (I used this in college with free gallons of apple cider for fun). "

I recall 'ice beer' that was marketed as being made like this -- make beer, freeze out some of the water, sell beer at higher ABV. The advantage I can think of making beer this way instead of simply starting with more sugars (to end with a higher ABV) is that beer yeast acts funny when pushed hard, and makes all kinds of funky flavors (that are themselves interesting from a chemistry standpoint). I suppose ice beer would be relatively tasteless like so many people like it to be.

On sulfur and anaerobic bacteria: I have run a sulfur denitrator on my reef tank for about a decade. I use an off the shelf calcium reactor filled with elemental sulfur pellets, and flow water through very slowly so the chamber is anoxic and bacteria switch to using the oxygen from NO3 and the sulfur to produce nitrogen gas and a little H2SO4. Works well.