FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Florida state law issues
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #61
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Well I know when I was doing Lauren's shows she did not allow outside animals in unless it was with a Vendor. From what I gathered in this situation the officers asked if vendors were interested in purchasing the Scarlets and the ones that were interested were given citations if they violated the rule by not verifying that the seller had the required license. In Florida anyone selling any animal must be licensed through the Permits of FWS. In this case with the Officers playing the part of having the animals they did not violate anything as they probably did not even have any animals. If they offered them to the vendors and the vendors wanted them more than likely the deal was set up to happen after the doors closed or in the parking lot. Anyone that is licensed and buys animals from an individual must verify that the individual has the required license.

I personally think it is a crock of Horse pucky and the only person that should get into trouble is the person trying to sell without a license. We should not be required to baby sit others in regards to them selling an animal. I can tell you many people online that are in Florida and advertise on KS and other sites that are not licensed to do so. Even to sell online in Florida you must be Licensed. While that should be cracked down big time they (Florida FWS) don't seem to want to pursue that situation but rather take the easiest thing they can and try and get a bust that way.

Also on the question if a person buys an animal and returns is a week or so later, no they would not be violating the rules as they are not selling the animal but rather obtaining a refund. In the State of Florida there is a regulation for Pet Shops (I am not sure if it extends to other sellers such as at shows) that if they sell an animal they must return the animal if there are health problems and such. This is a regulation that is not enforced at all but very well could be. Alot of Pet Stores and sellers have a "No Refund on Live Animals" Policy even though they are not supposed to do that.