FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New member
Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
hhmoore
Pricing - depends on what you buy, who you buy from, and, to a lesser degree, when. Depending on the morph, males might be cheaper, females might be cheaper, or they might be the same. For pastels, mojaves, and other morphs that have a "super" form, females are more expensive because you can't make the supers without them. With spiders, on the other hand, the males are more expensive because a single male will breed with multiple females...producing spiders with each clutch (and their is no super form that makes it more desirable to breed spider x spider.
The amount of "give" on a price is dependent on the person selling the snake. If somebody prices their snakes high, they have more "wiggle room" and may accept lower offers; whereas the guy selling his for the lowest prices probably won't want to hear it (I'm like that, lol).

As for the price drop - that depends on what type of morph you are looking at. Because of the ease of reproduction, pastels, spiders, mojaves, etc drop significantly each year as more and more become available. Recessive trait morphs, like albinos, typically have more stable pricing. Your best bet for getting a good price is in the fall - mid spring to mid summer is when most of the babies hatch, and prices are high. With the approach of winter, people want to get rid of the last of the babies so they can concentrate their efforts on breeding season again...besides, who wants to feed babies all winter if they don't have to (not to mention anybody that was going to pay the price probably already did...shopping late in the season decreases the selection a bit, but the price drop is usually worth it, lol)
I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but I hope that helps at least a little