FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Snake baby delivery fatality
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Unhappy Snake baby delivery fatality

This was originally a request for information while the snake was alive. Unfortunately the snake died, but the case may be informative.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=176477&page=8

There's a difficult situation regarding a boa trying to deliver a stuck slug and a lot of dead babies. The OP would appreciate advice from experienced vets or others may have on how to conduct the procedure her vet has advised. Please check this thread out and reply to the OP there (NOT HERE) if possible.

Thanks

This is the last post describing the situation:

(QUOTE)
Just got back from the vet. Xrays were taken, those were very interesting. It's sad because it's my snake but still very fascinating to see.

She has a slug stuck (as suspected). After my friend palpated her, she started holding her tail weird, I was afraid he broke a bone in there. The good news is she's holding her tail funny just because she's uncomfortable and NOT because of any broken bones, there are no broken bones. Now the bad news... all behind the stuck slug are babies, babies that are almost certainly all dead by now. One of them is even stretched over the stuck slug, it tried to pass but got stuck as well. UG! So.. looks like there were at least 7 other babies but because of this one large slug she wasn't able to pass any of them. There were some dark pockets on the xray which indicate gas buildup... either it's normal gas in her intestine or it's gas from the decomposing babies. It's sad to see those poor babies that didn't make it.

So... plan of treatment: I have anti-biotics to give her. My vet advised me to try to push the slug back UP her (instead of out) which if I can do it, will allow all the babies to come out, then hopefully she can then pass the slug. I also have to give her an enema, which I've never done before so if anyone has tips that would be greatly appreciated. The only other option is surgery which the vet advised would be lengthy and difficult and I already know I cannot afford that option. So.. I suspect she's got about a 20% chance if I'm able to palpitate the slug back up. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best but I am prepared to have her euthanized if it comes down to it.

So that's the update. At least I have a plan of action and I feel so much better knowing what happened and what is going on inside of her. My vet is going to try to get me a digital copy of the xray which I'll be happy to share with you guys, it's very interesting to see.

Thanks again for the well wishes all, I'll post an update when I have one, good or bad.