FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - about Vets
Thread: about Vets
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
hhmoore
You're way off base - sure, it would be nice if we could just go wherever, pick up whatever meds we want, and be on our way...but prescription drugs require a prescription for a reason. There is a certain knowledge base involved with deciding which medications are appropriate, and what testing might be needed for a differential diagnosis. Now, you might be quite knowledgeable in this area...but how does the vet know that when you go in asking for meds, if you don't have a pre-existing relationship?
Some clinics are run more stringently than others - some of the ones close to me won't even run a fecal sample without bringing the animal for an appointment. Can you say giant pain in the ? Prescription meds, however, can only be dispensed by licensed professionals...and, in today's litigious society, those professionals need to cover their asses. Giving somebody meds without seeing/diagnosing the animal could result in a costly lawsuit.
You went in wanting Baytril - you got it, and it didn't do the trick. Then you wanted Fortaz - likely based on somebody's recommendation - however, you seem to have missed the fact that Fortaz is significantly more effective when administered concomitantly with an aminoglycoside. I'm not sure at what point in all of this you had cultures done...but that isn't as simple as many think. Respiratory infections are sometimes secondary - swabbing the mouth/throat, or even doing a tracheal wash will typically show Pseudomonas and/or Proteus sp (yeah - I know they changed the names, but I'm old school & don't remember the new ones). Those are susceptible to Baytril, so that will be the treatment....except, if the RI is a secondary infection, it won't quite do the trick. It might clear it, or mostly clear it; but since the underlying infection is still there, the RI will return. In a case like this, continuing to swab the respiratory tract will continue to show the same thing. The underlying problem could be parasitic, bacterial, or fungal....and you'll never find out without those tests you're griping about.
There is no argument that vets are expensive - look at their overhead - of course, just dispensing meds, while cheaper for the client, doesn't do much to help them cover costs.

As for the examples of bad, or less than honest, vets/clinics overcharging - unfortunately, there are examples of those scenarios in just about every business. Sometimes over-ordering tests, procedures, or meds is simply a sign of somebody trying to be thorough (especially if a vet isn't familiar with a species, or isn't quite sure what's going on). Sometimes it is just trying to get more money.