FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - about Vets
Thread: about Vets
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
yeloowtang
Thanks for the reply Harald,

I must add, maybe it looks as if i'm off base the way i've worded all this and try to keep it short.. i had just got of the phone with the vet i trust and to have them tell me we need to have a check up again, when they told me i might have to go that route because of dehydration caused by the fact they inisted i keep the cage dry while treating !!
I do agree that prescription drugs need to be given out by proffessionals and not just anyone who wants them, this is why i had no problems when this all started out..
i know of some people who can get them, without having to pay for a check up, but that's a different story, i asked them and they said i need to bring her in, witch i did gladly because i want her to get better.
the issue i had afterwards was that on the first visit they told me if symptoms were still availlable, that i would need to continue the treatment with more medications.. so i went back and was told they wanted to see her again..
as for the baytril, I did ask the vet about the fortaz also and talked about side effects regarding both drugs but they only had baytril available, in fact they didn't , i had to drive out the another clinic to get it.
it was all a combination of our discussion and when i explained details, they would go and call other vets and then confirmed that i was right !!!
not saying i know more then they do, but regarding my snakes i clearly do..

i do have lots of knoledge in this area and that's the other part that is a little annoying,a vet can tell if someone knows what they are talking about, especialy when everything they told me was repeated from what i told them... but that's ok , i just feel that the second time i wanted to continue the treatment , they could have just sold me the needed meds, like the other vet did..
I understand that they at least need to see the pet first,to confirm it needs it and not just sell drugs to any wacko... we all know there'e enough of them out there..

but all good, i'm ok with that part.

as for cultures, i did have one done and again as i mentioned , i understand completly the why they would want to keep checking... it's when the vet tells me as long as some symptoms keep showing, they know it's still present just not how much of it is.. if she's getting better, then we're in the right direction, witch we were.. i did not go with other cultures as i felt at the end of the final treatment things were cleared..

well other than the other problems that arrised due to dehydration..

as for the fecal, i had that done as well.. just like you said they wanted to see the snake again.. but in the end agreed that it's the same snake ???
the first vet, i had a fecal done on a new emerald tree boa that i wanted to test. they wanted to see that one too, but managed to convince them it wasn't a good idea.
1- it was winter and did not want to take the snake out at that time
2- she's over 3000g and nasty
3- they are scared and nervous handling a ball python ???
4- nothing is wrong with her, i just want it checked for parasites
they agreed to test without seeing her !!!

as for the combination of meds, i would have to ask my vet.. well in fact i did but they did not want to tell me excatly what it was other than it's a mix that they have, my fortaz came in a frozen capsule made up of what they called their recepe ?? this i can't elaborate on as i don't know. i do know that i only had one injection to do at a time and the shelf life in the freezer is well over 1 year, mine expired in 2016..

thanks Melinda, saw you reply as i was typing this one, yes a igree that 150-165$ is a reasonable cost, hell i'm up to over 750$ in vets with this snake and i'm still not willing to give up on her.

as i said , sorry if i souned off track, could be that the vets we have here don't have the expertice that others have.. I still like that second vet i found, it just seems as if they keep charging everytime they can..
I don't mind paying for what i need, but i don't like to pay just for because they can charge me for something i can do without..