FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Are you going to take the COVID vaccine?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Of course I am.

The fact that we live in a supposedly developed country where a significant percentage of the population thinks their gut feeling, or three anecdotes, or some thing that happened to their great aunt, or some crap they heard at the bar overrides established scientific knowledge scares the S^(&* out of me. The average person now doesn't seem to understand statistical risk any more now than people did during the 20th century flu pandemic, the 19th century cholera outbreak, or the 14th century Black Death.
You make a good point. I was leaning towards no at first. I'm not an anti-vaxer by any means. If I had kids I'd get them all the required shots because I believe in them and I believe the proven positives far outweigh the potential negatives (I'm not talking about the tinfoil hat theories either, I'm talking a bout real potential negatives) I voted I don't know because I honestly don't know but as of now I'm leaning toward most likely yes.

Covid isn't going away anytime soon and without the vaccine it will last even longer and the longer it lasts the longer the restrictions will last. Its not just about is this a survivable illness, for the vast majority of people it is and for them as individuals the vaccine may seem pointless. People look at how they personally may be affected and don't think its worth it because they feel they may just get a little sick for a little while. What they don't realize is that if they do get get sick and are counted as a statistic it will only increase the likelihood of restrictions lasting longer by adding to the numbers. Get the vaccine, don't get sick, don't add to the numbers.

Obviously if something comes out that it isn't effective or worse it can be dangerous that's a different story but right now I view the "I'm not getting it" attitude as somewhat selfish.

Its kind of like the masks. They are a bit of a PITA but for the most part wearing one is not that big of a deal. For the majority of those who won't wear one its simply because they refuse to be told what to do. If a tiny bit of inconvenience to you makes others feel safer and might help the problem to them I say grow up. Its not always about you.

To me a better question, and one that should have been asked from the start is if you do show symptoms would you go get tested if it wasn't required of you or would you just wait it out at home taking the suggested precautions.