FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Vote***financing Fauna***vote
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I worry that if there was a fee charged to post on the BOI that some, or maybe even many people would stop posting there.
I know I would.

Rich took a lot of stands on a lot of things by creating the BOI. There was all kinds of talk about protecting the community and the general betterment of the entire industry. Charging people a fee to see if the person they're considering a deal with is legitimate or a crook? Charging a fee to explain that a deal went well or went south? These are beneath everything the BOI was supposed to stand for and directly contradict all the ideals which were spoken of so highly.

Now... ads... I could see a fee for posting in the classifieds sections. But the BOI and the discussion forums- if Rich *wants* the site to wither into nothingness and die (And without meaning any offense... He's seemed to be a lot more frustrated over minor things lately than was ever the case before. That "why do I bother" talk is more invasive and frequent) then a fee for the BOI is the way to go.

I believe he's mentioned that he has people waiting in line for ad space to clear up too... I can see a little room for some extra banners- places that would still be seen without being invasive to site content. Something to think of before making a move that results in the site's membership and activity to drop to a fraction of what it is. A situation I sincerely believe would be the case... charge for the BOI and it won't see anywhere near the use it does now. Less use = less USEFUL which means that subscribers will be less inclined to renew their subscriptions. That'll lead to even FEWER participants making it even LESS useful... downward spiral until he's forced to either abandon it completely or make it free again. Neither of which would be likely to sit well with those paid subscribers who might be left.