FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Feeding Issues After New Snake in the Room
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
BottomFrog
Feeding Issues After New Snake in the Room

Hey all!
I've got a couple baby cal kings (a few months old at this point) that are in a temporary rack system in my "reptile room" (essentially a large walk-in closet). They have fed for me three times on frozen pinkies so far with no issues. However, I recently picked up a few Amazon Tree Boas and they are kept in the same room. The day I set them up was also feeding day for the kings, however one didn't eat. I tried again a few days later, no luck. Several days later, I fed both of them again. I placed the picky eater in a small tub with the pinkie and left it for a while in a dark heated room and it eventually ate it, however now the other is not feeding. I tried the same method with this NEW picky eater and he isn't interested in the mouse at all.

It should be noted that nothing has changed in their heating, humidity, or other aside from a few new snakes being in the room. I'm not overly concerned at this point as they were originally fed on live pinkies and I expected the adjustment to be a lot more work, but I was curious if anyone has had any experience with snakes changing their behavior after a new addition is within "smelling distance".

It should be noted that it is entirely possible the previous frozen feedings were total flukes of good luck and they are just finicky with frozen, but I figured I would check if anyone has had any similar issues.