FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Alabama State wildlife agent targets black market for turtles on Internet
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Lt. Michael Bloxom is an Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division officer who is designated to help them.

He spends part of every work day looking for turtles, deer, snakes and other Alabama animals for sale on the Internet.

Recently, his efforts paid off, leading to the arrest of two couples in Wedowee.
Clay, first I would like to thank you for keeping up with the headlines and making this forum such a success.
I would like to make comment here, a little narrow in scope but it’s something I have been pondering lately.

I have taken some flack (sometimes offline) about my continual posts in regards to illegal activity such as selling protected species, shipping illegally, etc. The most common response is “ nothing will come of it”
“It’s worth the risk” etc, etc. I remember a turtle seller that I had got into a bid of a rough conversation with sometime ago. He stated it was none of my business or anyone else’s what he does. Most don’t believe or choose to ignore that they are being watched. Hopefully, articles like this will serve as a wake-up call that you could get that knock on the door. Anyone believing what they do when it comes to illegal activity in this business doesn’t have consequences for everyone is strongly mistaken. More laws are past that restrict responsible keepers.