FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Of Bees and Snakes and Snakes Don’t Make Honey
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
“Keeping honey bees to ‘save the bees’ is like raising chickens to save birds.” Ha, ha. Love it!

The state insect of CT is also non-native (European mantis, Mantis religiosa), and five states list the non-native nuisance Coccinella septempunctata ladybird beetle as their state insect (DE, MA, NH, OH, TN).

A bit more than half the states have a state (non-avian) reptile, though about half of those are turtles (which are cuter than snakes, everyone knows this ).

"human deaths from cattle, horses, deer, and dogs. " To be fair, I think distinguishing things that cause harm to innocent bystanders is worthwhile. I assume horses and cattle cause harm primarily to people who have consciously assumed risk in working with them (same as with captive venomous snakes, keepers of which should be allowed to get bitten if they want to take that risk), leaving aside workplace safety regulations. Otherwise there's reason to legally restrict, say, high sugar and high fat foods -- but there isn't since I choose to eat these foods and it is my body to do with as I like.

Dogs (and somewhat differently wild animals such as deer and bees/wasps) are different, since I don't agree to risk harm from those animals (I don't have a dog) but because they exist in places that I have a right to be, I'm exposed to risk. Laws for keeping potentially dangerous snakes and laws for keeping dogs and cats (which are similarly potentially dangerous) might be similar if they were based on consistent and relevant criteria.