FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - USARK NO More
Thread: USARK NO More
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
Skiploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
Sorry Lucille, I did not mean to direct this to you. I offer my sincerest appology.

I simply cannot answer many of these questions as I do not know the answers. For example, I was at Tinley but was not aware that Andrew was removed, if indeed that was true. My only communication with Andrew at that show was at a board meeting on the Friday. Sorry I cannot help further. Secondly, no money has ever been mishandled or stolen as suggested above. As I say, our budgets are open to the public and all spending is clearly laid out. Not sure what else there is to address.

We (USARK) and Andrew Wyatt have simply come to an impass in terms of our philosophies as to the role and future of USARK in the herp community and industry. Our (USARK) philosophy has not changed from that which we have followed from day one. It will be up to the herp community to decide which organizations philosophy they prefer.

Again, please accept my appology, it was not a personal attack on you.

Regards,
Warren
Nobody is saying you stole anything. A lot of people would have liked to see how much money has been collected and an update on the promised federal lawsuit before today's release........

I cannot speak for others, but my perception of USARK has been colored by your recently moved on spokesmouth. I've seen a lot of big claims, a lot of pyrrhic victories and quite a bit of double talk. I still see PIJAC jumping USARK on the local issues and I see other groups representing other aspects of the pet hobby being a lot more effective in exempting their animals from stupid and reactive legislation.

I see alot of hit and run posts asking for donations or giving the masses a propaganda update with a plea for more money.

What I don't see is a connection with the people USARK seeks to support. A good start would be to give us an update on the Federal Lawsuit, an update on the fund drive for same, and a forthcoming answer as to why Wyatt left.

Quotes from USARK's press release:
USARK announces that Andrew Wyatt has tendered his resignation as CEO and president of USARK, the organization that he co-founded in 2008, due to philosophical differences and in order to pursue other interests, effective December 31, 2012. USARK wishes Wyatt well on his future endeavors and Wyatt wishes nothing but the best for the reptile industry.

Question for USARK: What were the philosophical interests and how do you see his new group competing with funding that USARK says it sorely need?

In other words, if Wyatt wishes the best for the reptile industry, why in the hell would he make a move that could fracture a portion of USARK's financial support? Did he leave on his own accord or did he resign to save face?

Before you make the statement that this is none of the public's business, realize that many of us aren't going to trust our money to someone who can't openly answer such a question.

USARK BUDGET: Last year USARK brought in $300,000 of which 35% went to our lobbyist in Washington DC, 30% went to the former president’s salary, and 30% funded operating expenses (travel, hotel, t-shirt printing, etc.). In order to operate effectively, we need to raise $500,000 annually which will allow USARK to hire a full-time office administrator, fund important scientific studies, and pay expensive legal fees in the fight against anti-herp legislation.

$300K on the dot? The president took home almost a third of all donations? What percent went to the Federal Lawsuit? Wasn't that the big war cry - raising $150K for the Big Fight?

From USARK's release, 60% of our donations went towards the president, his expenses and promotional material, 35% went to USARK's lobbyist - how much went towards the lawsuit?

If I read this correctly, maybe less than 5%? Or should I be ASSuming that no money goes towards the legal fund until we crack the $300K barrier?

How much money is in the war chest for The Lawsuit? When do you anticipate The Lawsuit being filed?

I've searched the USARK website under "budget", "expenses", etc. and am coming up empty. Can you point me to where the yearly operating expense info is?

A number of years ago, just about everybody was pro-USARK. Any eroding of that support base is of USARK's own doing. As you say, you cannot force anyone to support USARK, but USARK can certainly take positive steps that would garner them more support.