FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Can you put two male gophers in the same tank
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
Well, I don't feel you are being ignorant at all with inquiring, and it is itself, a very good question. My feelings are as follows.

While you CAN put the two gophers in together, in your suggested tank, I would strongly advise NOT to for many reasons:

1. Stress is the number one reason. While snakes are individualistic, some snakes really do not take well to being housed with others. Capes are more prone to being somewhat of a nervous and withdrawn species that favors a lower stress enviroment. Putting two capes together could really go against what they need, in terms of care, and reduced stress.

2. Sickness. When two or more snakes are housed together, and one of them is sick and takes a dump that is giving you clues as to their health not being 100% ( dump being way more smelly, nasty, and putrid than normal ), the first thought may be, " Who/which one did this? " That alone is crucial in determining which one is sick. Unless you actually see the particular snake leaving you a cage present, you may not be able to tell right away who is sick, thus making the time needed for care and attention to treating the snake much more compounded. Then, sickness can spread quickly to one another as well when kept together.

3. As far as cannibalism, anything is possible. You just never know when one cagemate may smell the scent of a recently devoured mouse on another cagemate and then, you have one big, fat snake.

Overall, I would simply keep them apart.
Here is a link to a very informative caresheet about cape gophers, as they do differ in care somewhat vs. other snakes:

http://www.kingsnake.com/capegopher/

Hope this helps! Take care!
Thank you very much! That was very helpful!
I won't risk it, I don't want to run into those problems.

Thanks again!