FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Some bamboo pics
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
That is awesome. How old are some of the larger ones? Do they have any commercial value? I'd love to have a few of them for crafts etc...
Bamboo puts out shoots every year and they grow to full size that season. It's rather impressive watching these shoots grow by checking on them every day. During shooting season, Connie and I will do a "bamboo walk" about every day. They don't get any larger with time once they finish growing that one season, but it takes several years for the new season's shoots (culms) to start reaching full size.

Bamboo is used in a lot of commercial application in the orient where it is more plentiful. We are seeing more and more of it used here in the USA in the recent past, with bamboo flooring, bamboo sheets, furniture, etc. One of these days I might even get ambitious and sell sections of it, since they would make great hides for terrariums and the like. Matter of fact, looks like some birds have created nesting cavities in some of the bamboo, and I'm sure lizards and tree frogs will hole up in the old split bamboo.