FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Going to Florida.. what do you recommend???
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
lauraleellbp
Busch Gardens is probably my favorite theme park ever... but then, how can you go really wrong with lots of awesome rollercoasters AND animals in the same place? I'm biased though- I grew up in Tampa and worked there during college LOL I haven't been to Lowry Park Zoo since I was a little kid, but it's supposed to be a good one. The Tampa Aquarium is another good option. You can definitely see manatee at either of the zoos. IDK about the power plant since it's been unseasonably warm so far this year? The manatee usually congregate around the power plants when the weather is cool, they warm up in the warm water coming out from cooling the generators.

John's Pass in Medeira Beach (over across the Bay on the Gulf coast) is usually a good place to see dolphins off the pier, enjoy good seafood (Johnny Leverocks) and watch the sunset.

I'd recommend Cuban food in Tampa if you want some good local flavor. Taco Bus is a little hole-in-the-wall mom and pop place on Hillsborough just east of I-275 and a pretty famous local hangout with great cheap food. It's not in a nice neighborhood and is pretty rough around the edges, but the food is great and I usually try and eat there whenever I'm home for a visit.

On the more upscale side, I also really like Roys, near the airport, though that's a chain. Mitchell's Fish Market near the WestShore Mall may have the best seafood in town (one of my favorites, anyways)- though it's also a bit more expensive than Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, or Shells would be LOL Spaghetti Warehouse in Ybor City is another local tradition and the ambiance of the old cigar factory is pretty cool, though IMO the food is only average.

If you want to really splurge but have some magnificent food- make a reservation for Burns Steakhouse and also for their dessert room (which requires a separate reservation). You'll especially love that if you're a wine lover- they have one of the biggest collections in the world (I forget how many bottles, it was a mind-boggling number lol). You can also make a reservation for a tour of their wine room and kitchen.