FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Shopping Cart on a website - Good? Bad?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
FireStorm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If I do go with a shopping cart, I will definitely have individual pics of each animal. And so far, I've been either offering flat rate shipping or pricing my animals with shipping included, even in the classifieds. I tried using the actual shipping prices for a bit, but I found that I spent alot of time answering emails about shipping costs. I'm thinking flat rate shipping is the way to go on the site, so if someone is buying several animals they only get one shipping charge.

I have two concerns at this point:

1) I have offered multi animal discounts in the past, mostly because I offer flat rate shipping so I'm usually losing a bit on shipping. Plus, selling multiple animals at once cuts down on the trips I have to make to FedEx (about an hour round trip).
2) I want to have some sort of communication with the buyer to confirm shipping dates. I want to make sure someone is available to receive the animal and is expecting it. I'm sure I can accomplish this with the cart...just have to figure out exactly how it will all work.

I've only purchased animals through a site with a shopping cart on 2 occasions, so I was curious what others thought. Both times, I had spent a considerable amount of time looking for a particular morph with the look I wanted. I was grateful for the shopping cart then because I wanted that particular animal and price wasn't a concern. It allowed me to guarantee the animal wouldn't be sold to someone else while I tried to get in touch with the seller. In both cases, the seller was someone I felt very confident buying from, so I didn't feel the need to talk to them before purchasing. They also had multiple pictures and lots of info on the animal on the website, so I didn't have any questions to ask really...

I'm thinking I may play around with setting the site up with a cart, and if it turns out to be a pain I can change it later. I definitely appreciate all the input. I want to make my site as user friendly as possible.