FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Speak Up or Keep Quiet?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
Abish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I was skimming along, saw HH, and thought you were talking to me, lol.

back on topic
It's hard to point out things like that without either offending somebody, or coming off like a . For some reason, that classic faux pas just entered my head - asking, or commenting about a woman being pregnant...then getting the look and hearing the (angrily spoken) words "No, I'm just fat"
I am so doing then when I am big and preggo. Either that, or I'll get teary eyed and say it is an inoperable tumor.

But to the other HH, I have approached people in super sugar-coated PMs before. Typically, I've been told to go take a flying leap but I have also had a few people seem genuinely interested in figuring out if there was something they could do better. I know I have learned some valuable things from being approached discreetly online by those much more educated than myself.

I think approaching them that way decreases the odds that they'll be defensive out of embarrassment from being called out in public, and will also avoid the standers-by calling you out for being a douchebag.

Any way you do it, though, you have to be prepared for the very real possibility that you WILL come off as a douchebag. Nobody likes being corrected by strangers or being told they're doing a crap job of caring for an animal they are proud of and are getting positive feedback on.