FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Salmonella bacteria and reptiles.. Reptile educational handout
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #4
meretseger
Is the AARAV handing out information on the all the pet animals that carry diseases, or just the unpopular ones? I'd like to see the size of a handout detailing all the illnesses one could obtain from, say, a cat.
Also, since the CDC's website says that any vertebrate animal, including goldfish, can carry salmonella, I'm sure they're handing out salmonella info to everyone who owns a pet?
And, of course, I hope that all supermarkets are now posting up signs recommending that cookie dough not enter homes containing children under one year of age? Surely it's just as likely that mommy would forget to wash her hands after whipping up a batch of oatmeal raisin as it is she would forget to clean up after nuzzling Mr. Spiky.
It's not that salmonella transmission from reptiles isn't a valid concern (right?), it's just no fun being singled out when all the other pets and a frightening percentage of food products out there are equally disease-ridden. It's almost like they're trying to spread fear. I wonder why that would be? Surely they don't want to take our pets away?

Erin B.
Who is able to kiss snakes because of a salmonella resistance built up from years of eating raw cookie dough