FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New virus created in a Boston lab - 80% fatality potential
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So, your opinion is that an artificially created virus from an already artificially created virus that combines the increased infectiousness of the Omicron variety with the much more lethal original Wuhan strain is of no concern?
I'm of the opinion that focusing attention on details of research that promote a specific political agenda, while ignoring the goals of that bit of research and also being ignorant of scientific methodology generally is of much more concern than the controlled development, for specific and limited purposes, of a theoretically easy to distribute and quite lethal agent (of which the world already has plenty, and one sort of which the agitator in chief over in Russia is threatening to release unless we all keep our heads screwed on tight).

I'm of the opinion that "nuke that lab and everyone involved" isn't nearly as humorous or harmless as it might have been intended, given the state of things in the US (which are spilling out into countries that have historically been a lot more mentally stable than US) and the seemingly increasing tendency of folks with weapons to use them to make themselves famous and/or take the edge off their mental illness.

I'm of the opinion that calling people who are playing a central role in keeping us out of a dystopian plotline "bozos" is unwarranted and hurtful. Research of "bozos" like that have kept me alive on occasion, and also and more importantly have done the same for those few people I care about dearly. Without those sorts of "bozos", I and many of us might be very alone right now. I'm of the opinion that they deserve public and private recognition and praise for these reasons.

I'm of the opinion that in an ideal society, discussions and decisions about which research to pursue would indeed be public ones. It is also a fact that the US is roughly as equipped to do this as a roomful of toddlers are to design the replacement for the James Webb Space Telescope.

For Pete's sake.