FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Opinion should we feel bad that we keep animals under captivity?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSmithS View Post
Not drink beer?! That is complete insanity!
Yep, I was trying to make the case that the claim is insane ("reductio ad absurdum"). Sorry about the trigger, though -- that was kind of a dirty trick I pulled.

Fining agents are used in most beers, though (although likely not in some, like New England IPAs that are getting pretty popular), and I don't know that a person could easily figure out if gelatin or isinglass was used, or some synthetic alternative. I used to brew, and I never worried about clarity, so I didn't use them. I agree, of course, about honey and lactose, but I don't think most people who drink a milk stout think "hey, an animal suffered for this".

I agree with much of what has been said here, especially about the dilemma of keeping WC animals. I'm really happy that I'm part of a hobby where so many people are concerned with doing this as responsibly as possible. I sure wouldn't agree with people who (and I've encountered a couple) claim that if I they bought some animal they can do with it as I please and don't anybody tell them how to do it. But, the blanket statement that animals shouldn't be kept in captivity is equally indefensible.