FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cold temps, for north Florida anyway.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
WebSlave
The low temp on my weather station (sensor is positioned out in front of the apron of the garage) got down to 21 degrees last night. On another sensor I have setting on the porch, where it is somewhat more protected, it got down to 25.9 degrees.

Haven't done any inspection of the plants yet. Hopefully they are OK. We have some semi tropical plants that have been doing very well with the milder Winters we have had lately, so I'm not sure how they will have fared from this.

A few years ago we found some newly sprouting coconut palms on Sanibel Island that we brought back here. I would LOVE to grow my own coconuts! But they did not like cold weather AT ALL. Temp got down to just 35 degrees or so, and I didn't think they would need to be protected. WRONG! Killed every one of them.

One year we had a very early cold snap come through in November that wiped out all of the citrus on the trees. They weren't quite ripe enough to eat before then so we lost all of them when the cold damaged them. If you have ever smelled rotted citrus, you know what that is like. So we had all of them falling off of the trees that we had to clean up.