FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cold temps, for north Florida anyway.
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #8
WebSlave
Ugh.. Temps went down to 28 degrees last night. Supposed to hit around 35 tonight. Then things are supposed to be looking up.

We have really only had one really cold night so far this year, but seems to be a lot more nights of low 30s and high 20s than I can recall. Seems like we have been covering the pineapple plants at least one or two nights every week.

BTW, that 21 degree night did damage some of the pineapple leaves, and any new growth coming out of the fruit trees got damaged. Some of the smaller more tropical bamboos I have got hit pretty hard too. All it takes it really just one night to kick some of the plants in the butt.

Surprisingly enough, I have a larger tropical clumping type bamboo that I bought from a guy in Tampa years ago that used to get killed back completely to the ground every Winter. But the last few Winters haven't fazed it at all. Matter of fact, even that 21 degree night we had didn't harm it at all. Not even any leaf damage. Maybe it just got used to the cold and adapted?