FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Noob Questions re: breeding and localities
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
elena
Most of what I would have said has been said (and said well) but I'll add a few tidbits.

The vast majority of "Whitewater" albino rosy boas being sold today are not pure locality animals, but rather locality cross albinos descended from the original true locality Whitewater albinos, bred out into all sorts of other stuff. Unless the breeder you got your "Whitewater albino" from told you specifically that it was a pure locality animal, assume it is not.

The idea of outcrossing a Pioneertown anery hurts my mind, because they are so rare and it feels like they are being ruined already.

Crosses between desert or coastal rosy boas and Mexican or Baja animals are no longer considered merely locality crosses, they are hybrids, because coastal and desert rosy boas are now a separate species, Lichanura orcutti.

Also, when considering creating locality crosses, understand that the resulting offspring will not be as valuable or as desirable as pure locality animals, for the most part.