FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Regarding shipping venomous
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
Douglas Taylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcherps

No entity in the world knowledgable or not will be able to give you a venomous list because...

It might be easier to answer your question if you tell us what you are shipping, where you want it to go, and who you want to ship it. Then we can say should be no problem, it is a little risky, plan on having the feds all the way up your *ss.

thanks
ben cole
You actually did give a darn good answer... Don't expect to find clear answers from authorites.

As for what I'm shipping, I've got a few clutches of Boiruna maculata. In the past I've had some Philodryas baroni. I've told the customers interested in the Boiruna that the snakes will likely need to be shipped via airlines as HOTS unless I can find some documentation or justification stating otherwise.

This is where practical experience with the species and what may be assumed by "The Man" may differ. Baby Boiruna are the size of ringnecks, and even look pretty much the same as ringnecks. They don't bite in defense and at their current size, probably have neither the apparatus to deliver the venom, nor enough to actually do anything. They are effectively "Harmless". This doesn't mean a thing if The Man wants them shipped as hots.

For most of my hopefull customers, how they are shipped is irrelevant. For a few, it does create some real hassles. Another issue I'm a bit concerned about is setting the bar too low. I don't want to be the guy who makes it so that harmless specimens become "venomous" to authorities because wildlife officials start seeing boxes with "Venomous Reptile" on the side of a box of and start to associate the species with "Venomous". Then it's another species to get churned into the new law Banning Blitz.

I do appreciate all the effort you guys are putting into getting this figured out for me.

Doug T
www.dougtaylorreptiles.com