FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How long is dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
silversg
Question How long is dangerous?

Hi guys,

At what body-length would you say I need to have another person present when I handle my Columbian red-tail? Right now he's just about 6 feet long, and he's very docile. I got him in October of last year. He's the guy in my avatar. His name's Jormungand, Jori for short. He's definitely a placid fellow. He doesn't object to having the top of his head stroked, and he's been a pretty good sport about me cleaning and applying antibiotic ointment to his nose (which he recently scraped up on the lid of his cage, but that's another discussion, and I am getting him a different cage). My dad even pulled him along the carpet a bit by his tail a while ago, and he acted like nothing was even happening. But anyway, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'd like to know at what body-length you guys recommend having another person present when I have him out. I've seen a lot of web sites say 8 feet, but I've also seen a couple that said 6 feet, so I thought I'd ask about it here.

Also, I was wondering, if things were to "go sour," I guess is the term I'd use, what exactly do snakes do when they're startled or upset, besides perhaps bite? I mean, I know the life-threatening concern is really being constricted, but what exactly do they do? Wrap themselves around your chest and constrict you like they would their prey? What's the best thing to do if something happens? I've been told that if a snake constricts you, you're supposed to unwrap it starting with it's tail. Is that true?

Oh, and I suppose I should add that I've had my dad around every time I've had Jori out since I got him. I was a bit nervous and I wanted someone around anyway since I'd never owned a large snake before. Now that I've gotten used to Jori's size, and he's soiled his cage and for the first time my dad isn't available to be around so I can take him out to clean the cage, I realized that it's high time I asked about this.