FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Machinery stuff?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, I hear that! When I was trying to get the runout of my original 3 jaw chuck to do better than the .003" I was getting, wanting more like .001", Connie came into the garage and asked me what I was spending so much time doing. After I told her, she asked "How thick is one thousandth of an inch"? I said "Well, roughly around the thickness of a hair." She gave me one of those "looks". "Is that REALLY going to matter all that much?"

I didn't have a real good answer for that question.

Of course, on the other hand, I have to wonder how many times people have been surprised when they tried to design and build something with wood, and mistakenly thought that a two by four was REALLY 2 inches by 4 inches? I know that bit me in my younger days.

But on the other, other, hand. I know I would much rather buy a rifle that would shoot a group with a 0.5 MOA rather than one that could only shoot 1.0 MOA. Although in all practical uses, for a mediocre shooter like me, that wouldn't really matter much at all. Besides paper targets, I only shoot squirrels and at not very long distances. So if I miss, I want to be able to only blame myself.

So it would probably be best to NEVER buy a gun made out of wood, I suppose.