FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - "Dangerous" Snakes Confiscated from NY Pet Shop.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
Goanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Yup - burms are illegal in NYS. Amethystines, too, believe it or not. But, to the best of my knowledge, black racers are neither illegal or "very, very" dangerous. (I am frequently tempted to call the various people advertising burms, retics, nile & water monitors, etc in the Want Ad Digest, just to give them a hard time, lol)
Ahh, I didnt realize burms were banned statewide. Last time I was at White Plains I thought I saw them there, but it's been a year or more since I was there I think.

As for those damn black racers. Only thing worse is a garter snake, now those will kill you .

The only real reason I could think Black Racers could be considered illegal is that they are a native species.

EDIT: Oh God the video is even better then that article. I just had to rewind it to hear this part again. This is a direct quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS News at 11:00, Sep 9 2006
Animal Control officials in Suffolk County say a pet shop owner was hiding a slithering secret. They siezed more then a dozen illegal snakes at a store in Shirley. Among them 2 Burmese Pythons (one 10 feet long), the others were Black Racer Snakes. Officials say they weren't venomous, but all of the snakes were considered dangerous and they can kill!
Now that is misinformation at it's best. Yeah, if they just confiscated burms or other large pythons they (unfortunatly) can get away with saying that, but come on, do some research before publically announcing this crap.