FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Help! UTH/Thermostat not giving me the proper Temp
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
YouTube is a terrible source of reptile information in general. The format (top-down) isn't right for sharing information, the motivation of "content creators" is suspect, the comment section is mostly Russian trolls, and so on.

I agree with Jason. When the snake knocks the probe loose, the heat mat will run flat out until you get a burned snake (or one that won't go in the too-hot hide and can't thermoregulate properly) or at worst a cracked tank or a fire.

The probe goes on top of the mat (I tape them on with aluminum HVAC tape so that the probe touches two of the Flexwatt bars, in case one of them runs a little cool). You set the thermostat at whatever, and then after it warms up use the IR gun to take take the temp inside the warm hide to see what thermostat reading calibrates to the hide box temp you want. In my tubs, the mat temp roughly equals the hide temp. In a fish tank, the mat is likely going to run quite a bit hotter than the hide temp; keeping the ambient temp decently high will help this somewhat.

After you get all that dialed in, keep an eye on the snake and see that it spends some time on the hot spot and some time off it. The snake will tell you if you have the hide too warm (snake is usually off it) or too cool (snake is usually on it).