FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #77
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Well, the Nutribac probiotics arrived today (ordered 18 January) - I'd almost given up on them, but 6 weeks isn't unheard of (it is a long way, I presume the UPS man was rowing....). Tonight he gets tube fed a beaten egg with Nutribac, and my fingers are crossed he might start eating again.

He's been refusing solid food again (and I've tried a variety), so I tube fed him a home made shake of blended chicken gizzards and egg last week and he spent a very jolly half hour vomiting it up all over me. Lovely. Won't be doing that again.

He did pass a HUGE and very smelly stool, (maybe lubricated by the beaten egg...) so that's hopeful, and that has gone off to the vet for a faecal parasite smear. Still no word from the lab about the sputum culture (only been 6 weeks, not like it's life and death or anything), so I'm not trying any more meds until we have something resembling a firm diagnosis.

I feel so bad for him, he's just weak and lethargic, and my hopes are fading again - but he hasn't seemed to be in respiratory distress now since mid January, and he hasn't lost a great deal more weight, so m-a-y-b-e the RI is gone and now it's just the loss of appetite due to the antibiotics.

Come on Nutribac, do your stuff!
Hooray, glad your Nutribac has arrived. Also that you got some icky stool to have tested, I hope that yields some answers. Frustrating that the sputum culture is taking forever. I'd do the same thing, hold off on meds until you know what you're dealing with & that they're actually effective against whatever he has. Sure hoping the Nutribac helps.