FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane season - 2021
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Looks like it slowed down. Even if Cuba breaks it up it will still spend two days in the Gulf over warm water which will strengthen it. The good news is it looks like it will hit to your east.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurrica...hurricane-elsa
The forecast tracks are all over the map, so I'm sure they really don't know what is going to happen with the storm.

The ICON track I am watching on Ventusky.com is showing the center of the storm making landfall around Panama City, FL. Which, if true, will mean the brunt of the wind and rain coming our way.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=28.88;-8...=20210707/2100

A couple of guys from the roofing company came out early this morning and finished up the last couple of panels at the cupola on the roof, so the roof is now finished. I will be using the drone to do visual inspections over the next few days, weather permitting. But all in all, the roof looks pretty good from what I can see. I took video all the while the roof was being worked on, so I have been keeping a pretty good eye on things.

I saw a label on one of the rolls of metal going into their former, and they used 24 gauge Galvalume Plus, which should mean a pretty good rust resistant and sturdy roof covering. Of course, they did cause the roof over our side porch to leak at one of the seams from their walking on it and using it as a work area. When we had the big live oak tree overhanging that roof removed (it actually was the cause of the damage to the main roof in that area), they hit the edge of that porch roof with their machinery, cutting a gash into the edge and breaking the seal between two panels on that side. They came out and "fixed" it with a sort of peel and stick roofing tape material. This new leak is the next seam over from the first one. I'm guessing the rain we can expect from this storm will shake out any possible leaks anywhere. So I will be going up into the attic while it is raining hard and use a flashlight to look for leaks there. Hopefully I won't find any, as from what I could see, they seemed to do a pretty good job putting down that roof.

Depending on what the roofing company does when they come out for the new repair needed on the porch roof, I think I may have to go up on the porch roof myself and do my own repair. Re-caulk the seams, then cover them with the aluminum peel and stick tape I used to patch up the rusted out areas on the main roof. That seems like some pretty good stuff. But the impending rains have to get out of here first, and the mosquitoes are getting pretty bad, so that could delay things even further.

Connie is still laid up and using a walker, and is going stir crazy being in the house for so long. She injured the abductor muscle in her right thigh and was in a lot of pain and could not walk at all. But I tell her about the mosquitoes, and she is better off staying inside any way.

I have been having to use the screened in side porch as kind of a staging area going in and out of the house, instead of using the front door. That way when I come back in, I can kill off all the mosquitoes in the staging area before opening the doors into the house. “Open the pod bay doors, HAL.”