FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - FL Water managers want to ban python imports
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
I don't know why he said that about them not breeding. I think it's obvious they're breeding in the glades. There's just no reason for them not to be.
The environment is agreeing with them, and they are surviving well out there.
A couple hundred have been caught in the last two years. If they breed so easily in a cage in someone's basement, there's nothing keeping them from breeding in the everglades.
Besides, the nile monitor and green iguana, have already established breeding colonies in the wild down there, I don't know what would make someone suggest the burms can't.

I really like the microchipping idea, as well as the permit. I believe if all giant constrictors were chipped, and there was a $10,000 fine for releasing one or allowing one to escape into the wild, then the practice would virtually cease with the owners knowing if their snake is captured and scanned they're caught.
The permit would have the added bonus of keeping many irresponsible people from buying one in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Under a 106-year-old federal law called the Lacey Act, the government then could ban imports of the snakes, except for uses such as research or education.

Hopefully they will not go this far, with the reptile industry so big in Florida, it will be hard to add burms to that list. What will they do with all the pythons having to be turned over? Kill them? That's nice.
The way I read this statement it meant the government could ban the importation of burms under the Lacey Act, not the keeping of them, so it would not affect the ones currently in people's collections or their offspring.