FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Selective spider breeding
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
SPJ
Selective spider breeding

What do you think about this idea?

I was thinking that the only spiders that should be used for breeding are those that show NO signs of neurological problems (wobble).
What got me thinking was the poor spider that Corey Woods posted a pic of on KS. The thing lays in the tub looking dead with it's head all contorted. He was going to breed this snake but thankfully (IMO) it shows no interest in that.I have also heard of bees and normal spider sibs showing the problems.

Do any of you feel that the spiders with wobbles should not be bred? I think starting with an animal that has never shown the problem from hatchling to adult would be the only animal you should breed. Any that do show the problem should be "pet" animals only.

This trait shows up way too often in the spider gene and I do not think it is "cute". When I looked for a spider, one of my criteria was NO WOBBLE since I planned on using it as a breeder.

I realize it would be difficult to get all people to stop breeding the wobblers but I feel it is ethically wrong to breed an animal exhibiting a neurological problem.