FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Selective spider breeding
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
SPJ
My take on wobble head spiders that are bred and have some offspring not showing the trait is this.

The genetic flaw that appears to be tied to the spider gene may not be passed down to all of the offspring, however, it has documented that a spider with a wobble may not produce spiders that wobble but can produce normal sibs with the trait as well as bees with it when bred to a pastel. Now even some people have suggested that pinstripes can show the wobble head. There has to be something linked to the pattern mutation (since pinstripes and spiders both have a similiar type of reduced pattern) and neurological problems. I am beginning to wonder if the reason the so-called super form of the pin has not been photographed is because it has severe neurological problems that would cause issues if a picture was released to the public. If you produced the first apparent super of this animal, why be so secretive and not release a picture? Even if it needs additional breedings to confirm, you would think a photo would be posted. I mean come on, any different looking BP is broadcast all of the net.

Some say that spiders outgrow the problem. I really don't buy that argument since it seems that the largest producers of spiders are the ones that keep saying this.

Also some spiders not showing it at birth have developed it as they get older.

That was the reason why I think only spiders that do not show it from birth to adult are the only ones that should be bred.

Something neurological is tied to the spider gene (or the reduced pattern mutation itself). The only ones who seem to advocate ignoring the problem are mass producers of spiders.

Just like one eyed boas, wobble head spiders should not be bred. It is a genetic flaw and not just a "cute" thing that spider morphs do.