FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Selective spider breeding
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRegius.com
I've a sweet CH boy BP that started the whole love of Pythons for us, he developed a defect at age 2 & will never be bred. Selective breeding is about picking & breeding only the best & healthiest animals. We still don't know enough about the genetics to say for certain what is what.

Back when Kevin (NERD) was looking for the Super Spider (before it was agreed that the trait is likely just simple Dom) there was a lot of line breeding... I picked my Spider because the person I bought from had bred 2 generations and NOT line bred. I don't know if that made a difference, but that's what I did. My '05 girl is not a wobble-head and she's very healthy. I am interested in the true cause of the defect, I hope I don't ever have any offspring with the defect- if I did, they would NOT be bred.

I've waited until now to start a T+ project using unrelated hets due to the "kink" issue. I still believe that this colour trait is very sensitive to line breeding and therefore will be using plenty of hets & different strains... I figure it's a 5 year project, but what the heck. While I know line-breeding is necessary to prove out the genetics on WC or CH; for most folks who work with CB should be able to keep defects way down by out crossing as much as possible. (IMHO) -Deb

Very good point. A LOT of line breeding was done to try and find the super form. Those animals were the source of a lot of peoples breeding stock. Line breeding IMO intensified the genetic "flaw".