FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Gasoline prices....
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Interesting chart on the differences in gas prices depending on which party the president belongs to:

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensi...last-100-years

Adjusted for inflation, there is an $0.08 difference (higher during Democratic presidencies) -- between 3-4%. Of course, it would be completely unfounded to suppose that there is a direct correlation between party and gas prices -- global economic trends and political stability affect both presidential wins and gasoline prices.

Don't make me dictator, though -- I'd make gas $17 a gallon and use the funds to provide stuff that people actually need, including wages that would make the hike more bearable for the people on the bottom of the pile, and roads that are worth driving on, and wildlife reserves so animals can have a place to live that isn't fragmented by roads. My car gets 40+mpg, and I wouldn't walk 40 miles to save $17, so it looks like a great value to me.

Or I'd price gasoline (which is a necessity) as a percentage of wealth. The average hourly wage is around $25 -- suppose gas would be priced at 10 gallons an hour. People earning the federal minimum would pay $0.78 a gallon. Per this article, Jeff Bezos would pay $1.34 million a gallon. If anyone who makes $80,000 a year complains about $4 gas, they can walk.

Letting something like the price of energy change with the wind, or whether some sheik is pissy, or whether Russia takes control of Citgo to destabilize markets, or some other irrelevant cause is caveman thinking.

I'm not serious about most of this, of course, but beyond the practical problems of implementing this sort of stuff I think it is worth considering the ideas behind it.