FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Rat Prices
Thread: Rat Prices
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUART View Post
I was paying 1.00 or a 1.50 for large rats and now some places are closing in on 5.00 for a large rat?
You can still get cheap rats. Just scanned that other classified site and found Lg rats for $2.25.

It may be that you're seeing the addition of quality feeder vendors to the hobby. Some vendors tray pack clean, uninjured, well-fed feeders, and this costs a lot to produce. I've seen pics online of feeders people have gotten for low prices; these pics have convinced me that raising my own feeders is worth it no matter the cost.

I agree with Kathleen that the overhead and ongoing costs in money and labor of raising rats and mice is high. Kent rat food is $20 a bag; sure you can feed cheap dog food, and the rodents look like trash. I've done it, and now happily pay for good feed. I run an exhaust fan and a carbon can fan, and clean cages every few days. CO2 equipment isn't cheap, and gas fills are an ongoing cost. Rotating breeders out to control mites with Ivermectin is a logistical challenge, too.

For what I put into raising rodents, I wouldn't sell a lg rat for $5. Simply not worth it.