FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Dangerous wording on letter to congress re: salmonella and reptiles as pets
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #1
Pennebaker
Dangerous wording on letter to congress re: salmonella and reptiles as pets

I dont know how many of you noticed the big red link on all pages of kingsnake that link to a proposition and letter to congress about salmonella and turtles, but...
http://personal.riverusers.com/~richardfife/page20.html

Anyhow, I find the letter that we are all supposed to send to our congressperson to be a little scary in its wording. Here is the quote that I find troublesome:

"The occurrence of Salmonella is frequent in all reptiles sold as pets, yet the FDA has banned only the sale of turtles under a certain size. "

Doesnt this look like a quote promoting banning all reptiles??? To me, this only seems to encourage congress--well if you are going to ban turtles, you better ban all reptiles... and how about some stats as to "frequent" and how "frequent" in reptiles vs other animals.
I wrote the guy who developed this letter (and kingsnake) about possibly changing the wording. If anyone else sees this as troubling as I do, please email the guy and ask him to change that wording.
The last thing I want to do as a reptile keeper is to encourage congress to look at banning all reptiles. And it being posted at the top of KS, I can see a lot of people just signing it without really seeing how it can be interpretted.

Thanks
Dana