FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Lyre Snake Care
Thread: Lyre Snake Care
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #14
aliceinwl
Another update

This week, I took a frozen, thawed washed pinky and rubbed it thoroughly on my live western skink, the skink deposited some "pee" on the pinky during the process. I placed the pinky on top of the bark slab. A few hours later it was gone

He's a very nervous little snake, if he catches me looking at him while he's out, he buzzes his tail and shoots under the bark slab. Fortunately, he's never tried to bite. I'm still making every attempt to keep disturbance to a minimum. Hopefully, he keeps eating for me, and if he'll take scented consistently that would be even better.

I posted some questions about lyres on KS and one of the responders said that he'd had good luck feeding them pinkys scented with a frozen skink or anole. He would set the lyres up in a shoe box size enclosure, on newspaper, with a tight hide and place the pinky at the entrance. He felt that substrates like aspen interfeared with the lizard scent (my aspen bag had been sitting around open for ~ a year so it wasn't too smelly). He'd successfully converted multiple lyres to rodents using this method. I figured I'd repost it here in case someone else looking for acclimation information on lyres ends up perusing this thread.

-Alice