FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #52
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I don't particularly want respect or admiration and I certainly don't work to earn it, particularly from any "good old boys". I prefer to be basically ignored on a personal level while only the actual information or issues are paid attention to.
I've noticed this before. Modesty is all well and good, up to a point. At this stage, you have earned the respect and admiration, like it or not... By working towards the information, rather than towards gaining respect, you gained quite a bit more. If someone reccognizes your name though... and it makes them pause, even for a second or two and they listen to what you have to say when they might not have otherwise... isn't the respect worth it?

I am not suggesting that you become a rampaging egomaniac. Just that you do deserve credit for the work you have done and if you were to accept it a bit more openly, you might find the ability to do even MORE presents itself.

It's going a bit off track but... Years ago, people in the herpetocultural community started to get an inkling of who you were. There were rumblings, not all of them were positive. Today, because of the work you have done, that has changed and even those who disagree with you (by degrees, as I seem to from time to time or outright opposition, like pro-voiders) are forced grudgingly (or willingly) accept your expertise. The fact that you probably wouldn't use the term expert to describe yourself simply makes it even more obvious- only those who understand how much they don't know can truly understand how much they do.

You might not have any specific desires in any of these directions but... You have the website, which is widely regarded as among the best of it's kind to exist. That could easily springboard into magazine articles, books, television shows if you were so inclined. More exposure to you also means more exposure to your ideas. Taking credit for the work you have done and accepting the respect of others isn't identical to seeking the spotlight.