FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 800 GRAM FEMALE BALL PYTHON LAID 4 EGGS
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #30
edf01
Harald is indeed a great candidate to represent fauna- i'd say one of the best.

Upon first reading your post in this thread- it came across to me that you were elated to have a 800 gram female to lay eggs ( even tho you didnt breed her) and was stating it so peeps can start breeding their bps sooner ( yes, i did read where you didnt intend it to be that way)- to therefore make more money off of them sooner... I think th e clutch results you got shows grealty why someone should NOT breed a snake that young.
Just because they are able to produce eggs does not mean they should be bred. I have snakes well over 3 years old and are around the 1400-1500 gram range and arent ready to breed . ( heck, my 2500 gram girl who is not a virgin isnt ready to breed this season)

Also, be lucky that the 800 gram girl didnt get egg bound and die. It can happen to snakes- more so with snakes that are bred too young. There are things that can indeed go wrong with breeding snakes too young- and that is why responsible people dont do it, its not that they didnt know it could be done, but chose to not do it.

IMHO- a snake with a severe birth defect is not a successful breeding at all- it was defected for a reason- could be incubation issues, could be due to mom beign too young, or one parent can simple have bad genetics. Reguardless, Its not a smart move to breed a snake at 800 grams- (i know you didnt).