FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Best way to heat my snake tanks .......
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
denman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Depends on the ambient temperature in the room, the material the enclosure is made of, and what you are trying to accomplish.

Glass tanks are about the worst; they don't insulate well or hold humidity well. They're great for fish, not so much for reptiles.

An under-tank heater is just supposed to create a hot spot for your critter to lie on, it is not designed to increase the ambient temperature in the enclosure.

The problem with overhead heat sources and an open screen/mesh top tank is they quickly create a desert environment so species that need a decent amount of humidity don't do well in them.
I don't know...I've viewed many videos of snake owners and breeders successfully keeping their critters in glass tanks. My screen mesh top is covered part of the way with Aluminum heat tape to insulate, keep the humidity in as well as some warmth. I can't imagine any UTH maintaining a "hot spot" seeing there is a good 2-inches of substrate on the bottom of the tank - but I have managed to maintain a Cool-er end and a warm-er end to these glass tanks. Opaque tubs just don't do it for me. I've had'em, didn't like'em and I couldn't see my Snakes - they're ok for snake breeders, but I'm a hobbyist who likes to view his reptiles. My 2 Hygrometers per tank do a good job of keeping me up to date on Humidity and temps, even if I have to spray down the substrate. I haven't lost a snake yet. I can maintain 60% Humidity in my two tanks ----- it was the "heating" part that I needed clarification on .....Neither of my snakes "bask" so I'm probably going to eliminate the hooded lamps above the tanks and since I hear/have read snakes really don't like "light" they should be alot happier......