FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - April 1, 2005 - NEW Classified system will be fully implemented.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
WebSlave
I have had some people request that I keep ads visible on the system for a period of time after they have ended or been sold, for reference purposes. And truthfully I would like the new classifieds to look a bit more active initially, and not so barren of active ads. So I have is set so that all ads will remain visible for 180 days after ending or being sold. As more and more ads are placed within the new system, I will reduce that as needed to keep the number of active posts from becoming too cluttered with expired ads. Eventually I would like to reduce that time period to where expired or sold ads remain visible no more then 60 days after they have ended. You would be amazed at the number of emails I get asking me if I can retrieve old classified ads that have already been deleted from the current system.

As for the other issue, initially I had HTML enabled within the descriptions of the ads, but the developers warned me of some security risks inherent in doing that in their code. Then secondly, I discovered that enabling this (by hacking their program to remove a line of code) apparently had another serious issue. It appears that when the code line is removed to allow the HTML codes to work, anyone editing their ad who has paid for highlighting, bolding, etc., will LOSE those enhancements during the edit. Obviously, this could be a real big headache for me. So with those points under consideration, I felt it best to eliminate that HTML capability entirely. Actually I didn't see many people using it anyway, so I didn't think it would be all that much of a loss to most people.

Hope that explains it a bit.