FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 1.3 breeding Group, hoping to get breeding soon.
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
SquanGeckos
ok...now you can get some answers.

first...go buy a leopard gecko book...it has good info for you....the leopard gecko manual is full of good info....second, scope out good websites...they have great info, just as valid, from different perspectives and experiences.

breeding weight and age: at least 1 yr old and 45+ grams...most of the time i wait until they "look" like they are ready to breed..which means they are obviously very healthy and fat and receptive to a male.

cooling really isn't needed. They know. go with the seasons. you said they are young. just because they turn a year old this winter (just assuming), doesn't mean they will be ready to breed or gravid by early spring. My colonies are young...this was the first season for most of them and some didn't become gravid and receptive to males until this summer when they were 1.5 yrs old.

most leos will only lay a few clutches their first season. this season, i gave the females a rest from the male around when they laid to just before they laid so they had time to recover w/o too much stress. i also tried both colonies and pairing (1 m and 1 f) to see if there were any differences. i had better fertilization rates with the pairs...but i wouldn't jump to any conclusions about what's best just yet.

from what the scientifically backed manuals say about temp sexing.....
<78 and they won't hatch
80-83 and they are females
84-86 and its 50/50
87-92 and its males
92+ and its sterility

all give or take...plus, there are other incubation methods out there.

if your really interested in leos, proper care, and healthy breeding, go search out good info...search, and you will find it...

michael
surfgecko.net