FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Boa comparison to retic.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Hi Rich,

I keep boas, burms, and retics; all adults. As I'm sure you know, all animals are individuals, some having dispositions not "typical" of the breed.

In my experience, my boas are the most agreeable to handling. Next are my burms, although I have one whose only goal in life, is to staple my face. My retics can be cage defensive, especially when hungry, but are fine once they know they're not getting food. I have a 15' female that is always mellow, which is nice with a snake that big.

If you have experience with large boas, I don't see why you couldn't keep retics. Just keep in mind that they can get bigger than most boas, and some individuals are cranky. Also, understand how strong snakes of that size are. I never handle mine alone - my husband helps me with them, just in case some switch in their tiny brain gets flipped on, and they try to kill me!
I’ve seemed to luck out in the boa department. I’ve only had 1 male dh sunglow boa that has tagged me 4-5 times. So I always thought boas were mellow by nature.

If boas got 15’, I’d be satisfied.
Thank you for taking the time. Melinda’s post has got me thinking. Right now I just put my boas in a tote and roll up my paper in my boa cages and give a good clorhexidine. That pic with feces all over, well, you know.

Rich