FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Over 90 Venomous Snakes in Den Underneath Northern California Home
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #15
JimM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I have a book in my library entitled "THAT VANISHING EDEN, A Naturalist's Florida" by Thomas Barbour.

In the introduction, he states:

That book was published in 1944.
Geez , 1944 ... if he saw it now it would kill him on the spot.

The changes to the NJ Pine Barrens since I first went there in 1972 are also depressing. Some of my spots are still there , untouched as they are so remote from making them worthwhile to develop that Timber Rattlesnakes , Pines , etc are still there.

Depression really sets in for me when I think of my past springtime hunts at Okeetee, Good Hope and Chelsea Plantations in SC that are gone with the great friends I used to meet there to hunt Diamondbacks and Corns. First the new owners of the plantations no longer allowing snake hunting followed by the Best Western and other chain motels and restaurants taking over the little town of Ridgeland.

I'm glad I'm as old as I am and not 19 years old and starting my quest for herps with the way things have been destroyed, ridiculous laws shoved down your throat by F & G and 'snake hunting' to most people being reduced to looking into deli cups rather than stump holes, just to catch a glimpse of scales and being happy about it.

I'm glad I was born no later than I was !

Isn't it something how all the developers killing animals aren't held responsible for any of it yet transporting your captive produced animals across state lines .... animals who's bloodlines go back thirty years or longer ... can get you thrown in jail or a huge fine ? How than this happen ?

It just shows just how corrupt everything has become.