FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 2 Year Old Hognose Rescue Shedding Frequently
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
MSRT
2 Year Old Hognose Rescue Shedding Frequently

I got my hognose from an owner who couldn't care for her anymore in November. All the information I got was that she's female, about 2 years old, and eating 2 rat pinkies a week. The owner didn't remember the last time she shed. She seemed underweight and underfed. I upped her to an small mouse to match her width, feeding once a week. I weighed her for the first time on February 1st. She was 80g.

For the first two months I had her, she didn't shed. I wasn't expecting her to, at her supposed age. I was happy when she went into blue on January 17th, with a perfect shed on the 21st. Then she surprised me by going blue again, less than a month later on the 12! She skipped her meal that week, was a super drama queen for a few days, then had another perfect shed on February 17th.

She's my first hognose, so I've done tons of research, but I didn't really look into weights and shedding frequency until lately. Most places I have read say that hogs don't shed very frequently. And I know that adult snakes shed less in general.

So I guess my question is... Is this normal? Is it possible that the previous owner was wrong with her age? Was she just so underfed that she's finally putting on weight?

tl;dr: 2 year old female hognose shed twice in less than two months. Normal?