FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Over 90 Venomous Snakes in Den Underneath Northern California Home
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
WebSlave
Actually, I am wondering if that den has been there for a very long time, and that house was just unknowingly built over top of it.

Back when I lived in Maryland there used to be a really great snake overwintering den that had lots of black rat snakes and eastern milk snakes using it. It was actually pretty secluded and not that easy to get to as it was a long abandoned railroad. It was a pretty good hot spot for some really pretty eastern milks until the county, for some reason, built a foot and bike trail right next to it. I'm guessing one or more of the housing developments that were cropping up everywhere brought people closer by. Didn't take long for the inhabitants of that den to vanish afterwards. I am sure a lot of the people then using that trail thought they were doing a good deed by killing off the "cottonmouths" and "coral snakes" they misidentified that they were finding laying on that asphalt trail.

Speaking of misidentifying snakes, I remember my brother in law over in Delaware telling me one time when Connie and I visited her family over there that he had just killed a copperhead he had found in the field. I asked him how he knew it was a copperhead and after thinking for a moment, blurted out, "Well, it was just like the last one I killed!"